Monday, January 4, 2010

IPMG Chapter 3: NJK



            Trying to compete this from many days. Been like more than a month. There is a hesitation these days. One of two reasons is anxiety of job is not letting me free otherwise, this relaxing time is like a dream in these age for anyone. This is a bad time to pursue any hobby. I remember the same feeling was there while campus placements were going on. Been to 7 interviews and screwed in each of them. And that too I left all my routine in a try to portray sincerity to self. Anyways, my struggle was not as intense as my other friends there. One of the most struggled was a close buddy. I understand him skipping gym, guitar practice for long time. It's not that one doesn't have time or resources to do your hobbies but your mind doesn't permit. You suppress your freedom of wants by Your 'shoulds'. You know, you do so much injustice to your self.

Ok another is, I am getting some awkward feeling for writing somewhat about him what I perceive. My wife teases me by certain regression analysis as a few friends there. I get embarrassed by such allegations. Now such management tools are far to be known by exact definitions by any of you, so let me define that from my favorite book webster dictionary.

It's a statistical procedure for determining the relationship between a random variable and corresponding values of one or more independent variables. 


Any of us can be that random say that's me...and independent variable is him. This is about one awkward but also amazing person I met during my post graduation. It's really difficult to explain, who he is. Trying to list what he's probably not. Let's say...He is not an attention seeker as he might look like one, not a craze of gals around (at least didn't got to hear), not a geek of consumer durables used as FMCG, he would never be heart of any party and not a street smart orator.
Going back a little. Nothing very special happened on a day prior to the opening of college. Being local, I preferred to reach hostel in just an evening earlier. It was a goody-goody time at the first meet. Wrongly, was also easy to expect that all would be as good as one would think of self because we came through same selection process. Introduction round was almost over, and there was a guy with special ability was taking literally collecting toll for sitting around him. Okay, there comes another guy who looked quite shy and polite. May be he wasn't sure what the circle was about. I looked at him and insisted to join. I assured that, he was at right place. So I thought to divert mind, and try to know this dusky guy. Oh I still remember his blue adidas T. He had lil long hair like me, so I was more anxious to know. His name was new to me. And little amusing too. Navneet suna hai, Abhijeet, Abhimanyu suna hai but ye naam kaha se aa gaya. I was always curious to meet those special guys from that special state. I thought he was a 'Jatt'.

Very soon the pressure of studies started building. It was a real screwing time. Had heard about that. And felt proud that I'll be busy 24*7. Wanted to realize how proud it feels to say 'I am busy', like my employed friends in software.
I was sailing through like a half controlled speeding ship banging with rocks in mid-sea. I knew there is no escape other than letting this pass by. So I was being dragged by the evil MBA schedulers day and night.

At times, what to choose to do was not in my hands after being friend with few guys there. They used to come by. Used to pull me whenever they felt like going out for a reason. I was always confused and most of the time reluctant to do. They always complained and felt otherwise by my such resistance. Let me clear why I had been such a party pooper for them. Usually, my mind keeps on thinking all the time, when to start which is up on priority. Being bad in time management, I always avoided working till I can come out of confusion of spare time and death time. Now when for sincere people, it's time to finish and relax, my anxiety starts. I used to start with, not this can't be finished. And whenever I thought it's time stick at a place and work, there would be a call from friends. But in the nutshell Abhimanyu would have done decent part of needed work. Khokhar would have planned to start after all his desires for day is over. And I would have started with something wrong.

Similarly, one night I and abhi were looking for khokhar. Starting from his room, we tried to trace him in all probable places. He was not around. On top of that, he was against cel phone till he got a job last year. It was a search of may be one and a half or two hours. That was a new place for an outsider like him. So, we just thought to go to village near by and look if he has gone there. Same time we saw him coming from that direction only, we heard him singing loudly in that silent dark place. Oh it is still a mystery why he had gone there. We suspect that, he wanted to sing his things, and was just looking for a place where he can be him self. His music is rock and metal.

Khokhar was a tough guy to understand from beginning. He had been expressionless for very long. He may join you anytime without second thoughts. But you won't find a bond with him bearing any label. He was one of the most easy persons to access or get help from. But he was not the one to get grip on. So, you'll always find a chase from within. I've seen him contradicting any sort of people in best of their flows as in teachers, friends and seniors. Now, in this I'm giving big discount to females. I really have no idea what's wrong with this gender and him.

As I said Chase within. It's difficult to explain. I've seen people chasing him for number of reasons. And all of them including me were finding to extract something from beneath. Khokhar likes to accommodate any person crosses by. People surely start finding their freedom in him once they start knowing him. He loves it. He loves freedom and he loves people to be same way.

There are reasons he has such an influence on people. Now may be tip of an ice berg is his undying passion for learning guitar with no help, deadly stint for working out with strict routine, very polite and down to earth feet and good in academics too. Also not diluted by any wrong habits or political aspirations other than being within self. It creates a rare character.
I have done 'my' best of conversations with this guy. I don't know what color of freedom I was trying to search with his help. Perhaps, that was the freedom to stay away from the diluted world. A partner was there who disliked what I also disliked. Perhaps, it was the needed freedom I got to throw my views. He has been like an active wall of audience. We also had few similarities. He liked to kick off the routines and enjoy. Music, food or just fresh air out side were our priorities all the time. I had same feeling. But only he knew how to do it.

Oh in this. I can't forget my Caliber 7550. It never let us down in our journey. It's 10 years old and ran more than a lakh kilometers. At times, there used to sit 3 guys on it, while I always got to push my testicles on it's petrol tank. 


It's the time to recall the NIFT's function we been together with a flock of few more friends. There was a fashion show (being nift's more of an academic event) then other events were to be followed. The place was quite crowded though not packed. People had come from various places but looked similar in age. There were performances by quite some bands. It was an experience of life time. And I didn't expect that thankfully. It was the time of pick winter in G'nagar. And by that I mean 6-9'c Temp. Many of those bands were bad and people started dispersing after Shaimak Dawar students' performance. I knew no need to ask what khokhar wanted. He was comfortable with anything which had sound of those 6 strings. I thought to take a chance and stay back with him till everything gets over. Now, there was something which concerned us. That was cold. I think we didn't have proper clothes to protect from that windy night. I felt worse, I had no cigarette either. And shops had already closed out side. Anyways, there was something new started on the stage. All 6-7 bands were done by that time. There was one prof. kinda a man in his late 40's, looked like leslie lewis of colonial cousins. He held mic and hanged guitar on his left shoulder. One more prof. of around 55 held another guitar. And similarly one on Drums. I think that was their band. An in house band of 3 men. They started with something classic may be classic rock. Even khokhar had no much idea what they were doing. But it was real fun seeing glory in them. Perhaps fun in the older bands is their comfort level with the stage. Their relaxed approach reflect the spirit of music. Wow, we were really feeling proud as we decided to stay back in this cold. It was the time, I never missed smoking so much.  
I think smokers understand that, cigarette is an unavoidable part of any enjoyment. And Rock can't be better without smoking. (Though I appreciate movie Rock On ! for not pushing such ideas) There was something more new happening on  that stage. One of those band's member came 'Bear' walking from back stage. Heard his band was winner of some M TV's xyzz championship)

I can't deny why he was doing that. He must have felt like a toddler in front of that unknown group of '3 men'. He was giving them due respect from all of us present there before joining them.

It was getting late and cold was taking toll. It was surprising that we 2 were the only outsiders in NIFT in that crowd reduced to some 20. There was some pleasant shock. When my mind was dwelling around going or staying back, those professors started unpacking something. It was pack of cigarettes. They made enough of ambiance around for all to crave for it. None can follow rules in such environment. It was Central Govt. aided Fashion Tech. Institute.  I bet, that was the best time to smoke. And I borrowed one from a guy standing besides. It was some 2 hours show by those 3 and we stood till they decided to stop. It was an experience of life time at such an ordinary place. It was the best entertainment which can not be bought from any stage performer. This would have not occurred  without Khokhar. Such a reward for patients.

Wo extra butter wale parothe ho ya, tropicana Juice, class bunking, getting late or diet depsi ka daily dose. Whatever was there, was initiated by him. I have explored the limits of my tummy with him while hogging. He has hardly cared for money or time for his fellows.

At times, I compared him with the 'Bag Piper'. He naturally knows how to play that tune all wants to dance on. These days by visiting old friends, I see he is dearest to all. Everybody wants to see him around. But by this love, I solicit that he may loose out on his preference. The emotions of people may make him weak as most of us. May be that won't happen. May be people would understand freedom more after knowing them selves. May be he is not made like that. Let him judge that. Hope everyone can understand what this friend can gift them.

Wanted to complete this on his b'day 29th Dec. But He'll understand. He knows, I'm on my right time. I under now how enjay came up.




2 comments:

  1. dude while sitting in the office i was gone in the flashback, feel like returning back to college and attend every moment of joy and fun i missed (missed most of them). Anyways dude keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Work ..... but u forgot to mention ur juniors

    ReplyDelete